The Commonwealth recognises that no one, or no country, is perfect. All are journeying, and the Commonwealth pledges itself towards journeying with its members, on the rugged, winding, uphill paths towards the goals of democracy, development and diversity for which we aim.
~ Kamalesh Sharma, Commonwealth Secretary-General
Welcome to the online course, Embracing Commonwealth Values in Youth Development. Here you and your fellow students from countries across the Commonwealth connect in learning unbounded by space, time, geography and history, at your own keyboard and at your own pace.
This course is designed to equip you with:
- a knowledge and understanding of the key Commonwealth values and principles: citizenship, human rights, participation, democracy, empowerment, robust pluralism and equity.
- a knowledge and understanding of the nature of the Commonwealth, decision-making structures and key areas of work.
- a knowledge and understanding of the fundamental political values of the Commonwealth: power, human rights: democratic principles; leadership; political decision making processes; consultation, cooperation, consensus-building.
- knowledge and skills to promote Commonwealth values and practices in youth in development work.
- a knowledge and understanding of conventions on the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women, youth, communities and nations.
We wish you every success.